1601The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament.
Celebrating your Wedding at Good Shepherd Church
Congratulations on your engagement! We are happy to help you with your wedding. Please read the following general information about weddings at Good Shepherd Church and call the parish secretary, Annie Fournier with any questions at 336-725-9200.
Weddings are reserved for faithful Catholics registered at Good Shepherd Church. The adult children of registered members may also schedule a wedding at the parish. At least one of the members (bride or groom) must be a practicing Catholic and both must be free to marry.
All couples who wish to marry in the Catholic Church are required to attend and successfully complete a Pre-Cana Program. Please make an appointment with Father Forte as soon as possible after your engagement. Couples must contact Father Forte or Deacon Boissey at least 6 months in advance to request a wedding at the parish. Following this initial contact, you may obtain a date for your service from the parish. Upon payment of the fee for using the church for your service, parish guidelines will be provided to assist you in planning your ceremony.
Weddings are held on Saturdays at 2:00PM. The following days are excluded even though they may fall on a Saturday: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, the Saturday before Palm Sunday, Holy Saturday, All Souls Day, and Solemnities including Holy Days of Obligation, First Holy Communion, and Ordination dates.
Due to other celebrations on Saturdays including the celebration of Mass, Baptisms, and Reconciliation, this time is firm and the parish cannot consider a change in time. We ask for your understanding of our schedule and that you and your wedding party are prompt in arrival for both the rehearsal and the service.
The marriage preparation process consists of the following:
· Initial meeting with a priest or deacon.
· Attending and the successful completion of a Pre-Cana class titled the Good Shepherd Church Marriage Preparation Program. This is a six week course with our parish.
· Taking FOCCUS, a couple inventory, and reviewing it with the priest or deacon.
· Completing marriage paperwork: Form A (Pre-Nuptial Questionnaire) and Form B(Affidavit of Free Status of Bride and Groom)
· Obtaining a newly issued copy of your baptismal certificate with notations dated within 6 months of your wedding date. Call or write your church of baptism and they will be happy to prepare a certificate. It is your responsibility to do this.
· Meeting with Oscar Hernandez Director of Sacred Music to review your needs and discuss music choices. All music must be of a liturgical nature and appropriate for a Catholic Church wedding. Secular music is not permitted.
· Obtaining a valid North Carolina marriage license.
All requirements must be fulfilled to celebrate your marriage at the Church. Please stay in touch with the priest or deacon presiding at your wedding to ensure proper preparation and planning for your service. Should you have a change in address or phone number, please inform the parish office.